Health & Safety

The NYU Student Health Center and the Department of Public Safety work closely with program staff to plan for safe, healthy, and enriching opportunities long before you arrive. You will be introduced to many of these services in the months leading up to your program abroad while others will be explained in detail during the mandatory on-site orientation.

Get a head start on familiarizing yourself with global health and wellness resources by visiting the NYU Student Health Center website.  Click here for information specifically about Berlin Health & Wellness.

Health & Safety FAQs

  • Does NYU Provide International Health Insurance?

Yes, all students studying away on an NYU Global Program are automatically enrolled in international health insurance.  This will occur shortly before departure.

  • Do I need to maintain my home insurance?

You MUST maintain your domestic health insurance when studying away with NYU. The International Health Insurance provided by NYU covers you ONLY outside the U.S. while participating in the program, so if for any reason you needed to go home for care you want to make sure there are no gaps in your coverage.

  • What kind of coverage does the NYU International Insurance provide?

For the details of the HTH plan, including medical evacuation, please see here.  For any questions about your coverage, please contact

  • What if I need counseling while abroad?

Berlin will take your breath away. Adjusting to a new environment and discovering a new culture takes time, patience, and energy. In familiar as well as in the most fascinating and exciting of new places, it is important to practice self-awareness, evaluate your energy level, and proactively identify resources you can draw on for support and guidance. Most of you will experience very normal mood shifts associated with cultural and emotional adjustment. At times, you may feel overwhelmed, homesick, or frustrated. The on-site Wellness Counselor is one of your many resources for emergencies, for counseling appointments, and for any questions related to healthy emotional transitions. The NYU Berlin staff can also refer you to other counselors in Berlin, should this be your preference. Your HTH Worldwide Health Insurance should cover the cost for your mental health care needs so that you do not have to pay out of pocket for counseling services.

Please be aware that the attitudes toward counseling, or therapy, vary from one country to another. Similarly, the availability of resources and quality of services may be different from what you are accustomed to. Plan ahead and get informed before departure! Call the Wellness Exchange at (212) 443-9999 or write to i f you need help making connections to mental health professionals in Berlin.


If you currently attend counseling or see a therapist regularly, consider the following:

  • If treatment is essential to your functioning, you must get in contact with the on-site Wellness Counselor or identify a therapist PRIOR TO your departure! The NYU Berlin staff can work with you to find someone through HTH, or students are sometimes able to set up regular appointments via Skype with their current therapists. (HTH may not cover Skype sessions with a therapist at home, but your home insurance might. Students who wish to take this approach will need to confirm with insurance and their therapist.)
  • If you are considering taking a hiatus from treatment, you should have a plan in the event that you need to see someone while abroad.
  • If you know you will need a therapist or counselor prior to departure, call the Wellness Exchange at (212) 443-9999. Counselors will assist you in connecting with appropriate NYU site staff NOW to get a referral.

If you are presently taking prescribed psychotropic medication you must meet with your prescribing physician to discuss:

  • Receiving enough medication to last until you return. (Note: For some conditions and some medications, this is not possible)
  • Getting a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor abroad who will meet with you regularly and write prescription refills. Note that prescriptions from American doctors cannot be filled abroad.
  • Having the prescription and the generic name/chemical make up available and translated into German.
  • If you know you will need medication, get it before you leave, or contact the Wellness Exchange at (212) 443-9999. Counselors will be able to put you in contact with the appropriate NYU site staff NOW to get a referral to a psychiatrist or medical doctor.

If you have questions or concerns, contact the Wellness Exchange at (212) 443-9999; e-mail us at or check our web page at If you find you need a therapist, counselor or doctor while you are away, ask a member of the NYU Student Life or Wellness site staff. All inquiries will be kept confidential.


  • Do I need personal property insurance?

While it’s not mandatory that you purchase personal property insurance for your semester abroad, we strongly recommend that you consider it before your semester begins, particularly if you are bringing electronics with you or if you plan on traveling.

Information on the CSI Insurance Agency, a company that provides personal property/effects insurance for you while abroad if you select to undertake coverage, is included here. This is the same company that offers a similar policy for students personal items on the NYU campus in New York.

Questions about this coverage should be directed to CSI Insurance Agency directly.